It is interesting to read that feminine/nontraditional men have so many "pet names". "Straight fairies", "metrosexual", "modern dandies" and "new men" all have a certain connotation. Two of them I perceive as being positive and rather masculine, and two quite the opposite. Do you agree? Why do you think these nick names can be characterized either positive or negative?
i think all the names are negetive, and that there is nothing positive about names like that.No man should want to be called "straight fairies" or "modern dandies" it is just a self-esteem drop.
ReplyDeleteSo these nontraditional men have "pet names" for themselves and other men who are like them? The phrase "pet name" in itself carries a connotation of a term of endearment, a term used between close friends-are these "pet names" employed among friends in Hill's article? Which two of the four,that you've listed in your question, do you consider positive/masculine? which two of the four are opposite-and does this mean negative/non-masculine? This last notion of negative and positive is very interesting as it makes us question the duality of gender dichotomy- masculine vs. feminine.
ReplyDeleteIn response to Brianna's comment, what is negative about the phrases "new men" or "metrosexual"? Or are you referring to "straight fairies" and "modern dandies" as the negative terms? If so, how do they cause men's self-esteem to drop?
ReplyDeleteI do see two names that I see as negative, "Straight fairies" and "modern dandies". The other two names I do not see as being positive but more neutral. These nicknames have been characterized as either positive, negative, and neutral is because of the different people or groups that started these names. The negative names most likely came from the side of people who do not support the lifestyle that a feminine man lives. It was their intent to crush the self-esteem that these type of men had. Overall, I do not use any of these names to define men that I believe to be feminine. Honestly I try not to define a man or woman as masculine and feminine but it is very hard not to when you grow up in a society like this. I do my best to use my own mind and not follow what everyone believes in.
ReplyDeleteThat's a great perspective to have or work toward having- seeing people for who they are and not for which socially constructed definition of gender we might fit/place them in. Also, the addition of neutral to this discussion is great. Thank you.But I'm curious about the "different people or groups" who "started these names"? Who are they and why they needed to create these labels?
ReplyDeleteI think all the names are definitely disrespecting towards the men that are less masculine.Not all men has to be controlling, macho and tough to be "straight" or heterosexual. Different people have different personalities.
ReplyDelete