Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Shakespeare's Sonnet 116

Shakespeare talks about love in two different ways, what true love is and what it is not. "Let me not to the  marriage of true minds" (1) I think by saying this he means that he does not want to come between two people who truly love each other. Love is not love when it is changed by another person. Love is a constant feeling for someone and it should not be changed by any difficulties or obstacles. "It is an ever fixed mark"(5) meaning love is like a mark, love is unbreakable, unshakeable it's fixed forever, and if it does break or shake than it is not love. Well this is my interpretation of the poem so far, do any of you guys agree or disagree with my interpretations?

2 comments:

  1. I think you did a nice job interpreting the poem. But what does the speaker mean by "marriage of true minds"(Shakespeare 1)? what is a "true mind"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "marriage of true minds"(1)I think what it really means is that two people who truly love each other.They know what they are getting in to by marrying each other.

    ReplyDelete