Monday, January 9, 2012

Stereotypes in our Society

This article got me thinking about why so many people base their judgements of others on particular stereotypes. Stereotypes, such as a man who has more "feminine" qualities is gay, allows us to just lump together people and make assumptions without really noticing them as individuals. I think stereotypes do help our mind process the hundreds of things happening around us at one time, but can have serious negative effects if we allow them to facilitate discrimination.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you. I think that sterotypes can have serious negative effects. In this article, it shows that the feminie men had the extreme derogation and were least liked by people because they are most likely judged to be homosexual due to the fact that they are against stereotypical masculine men.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with both of you ladies. And we should consider Hill's question whether there is a way to "subvert heteropatriarchal sexual scripts"? Is it possible?

    ReplyDelete