I believe the narrator of this poem shows a good balance of both feminine and masculine qualities. Although it is sometimes considered to be feminine in terms of expressing your feelings about love and relationships, the narrator was also masculine in the poem by expressing his directness and perseverance of something that he wants (in this case, a woman). Do you agree or disagree that the narrator has a nice balance of masculine and feminine qualities?
I think the poet is very masculine considering the era when the poem was written. It was written about 300 years ago and since physical contact was forbidden out of wedlock men had to express themselves with words. They had to use pretty and feminine words to charm women. Courtship was very different then.
ReplyDeleteI also believe the writer of the poem was very masculine, he seems to use the whole poem to persuade this women in having sex with him. He tells her how beautiful she is and then goes on to saying its not going to last forever, and she should have "fun" before she dies. That's a very masculine thing to do.
ReplyDeleteWhat do you mean by a "nice balance" of both masculine and feminine qualities? Is it the number of qualities of each or is it how much each quality means? I do believe that the poet is very masculine and there are no traces of feminine qualities. You see the masculinity when you realize that the poet is trying to have sex with a woman. Today, that is one of the biggest masculine qualities men are pressured to have. Males are always asked amongst their male peers how many women they have slept with. I disagree that there is a nice balance of masculine and feminine qualities because I do not see any feminine qualities in this poem.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThe narrator is masculine with the poem because he used words and not physical contact so that's pretty smooth. Just like most guys today, most of them want to have sex. He's good with words. He's feminine with sweet talking as well.
ReplyDeleteSirkku- yes, but just because it was forbidden, it doesn't mean it didn't take place. Also, don't men use 'pretty' words today as well to pick up women??
ReplyDeleteCaitlin- yes, I agree but is it effective or is he being to rational rather than sticking to romance?
Robert-very interesting observation, and I think we should discuss this in class, whether being 'romantic' or 'spouting lines' is feminine or masculine? manipulative?
Eric- so you think the speaker does possess both, feminine and masculine qualities?