jm
Wednesday, January 4, 2012
"Nights Thoughts" by Helen Simpson
Our up-bringing, communities, and even history have all dictated what the acceptable and expected roles both male and female should play. But in this story the roles are reversed, and in doing so light is shed upon the reality that the despite of our pre-conditioning, men and women are capable of the same exact needs, wants, desires and yes, even fears. Could it be that some of us, regardless of gender, are simply conformists?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
"Night Thoughts" by Helen Simpson
ReplyDeleteI was able to relate to a lot of what Dave was going through with Ella. I also felt sympathy and compassion for him because he was losing his dignity as a man by catering to Ella hand and foot, while simultaneously trying to juggle working full time and household duties, which are usually left to women. I don't understand what's preventing him from leaving her. is she even the mother of the children? I hope not, for the children's sake. I hope there is more to the story because it left me wanting to know more about what happens next.
Barbara
p123
ReplyDelete4:42a.m.
...
"'its the famous old triple conundrum' Dave had continued. 'You can have two out of the three but not three. You can have the woman and the job, or the woman and the job, or the woman and the children. But you can't have the woman and the job and the children?'"
jm