In Soto's poem I first understood that man was content working illegally because he was earning an American wage which in his mind made him an American but re-reading the poem, I'm unclear on whether he's happy or not? stating he grins yet is running from patrol officers or is it that he is just accepting of the situation?
In "Theme for English B" is the student trying to say that the truth is that him and the instructor are one in the same and the only thing that separates them is color?
While I see your point about the speaker in Soto's poem, I urge you to reconsider your interpretation that the speaker is an illegal immigrant. The speaker states "...I shouted that I [am] American"(7).
ReplyDeleteColor or race is one of the differences between the speaker and the instructor. But reread the poems and see if you notice any other differences and/or similarities.