Saturday, January 14, 2012

Langston Hughes "Theme for English B"

What do you think the poet wanted to tell the instructor considering the era it was written? What do you think of the tone of the poem?

4 comments:

  1. I think the poet wanted to tell the instructor that the instructor has more freedom and not because he/she is an instructor but because of the skin color. It's a racist world and people with color don't have the same respect and the same freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The poem was written in 1951, as indicated at the end of the last line. We should think about the events which began in 1950s, regarding race relations, education, equality, etc. I like your question about the tone of the speaker; how would you categorize it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is positive, honest and very true. The poet writes about how intertwined our lives are, whether we like it or not: "But it will be a part of you, instructor. You are white--- yet a part of me, as I am a part of you. That's American." He is proud of who he is and he respects the instructor equally. Timeless and a very fitting poem for today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I agree. Very nicely put. Remember to include line numbers at the end of lines quotes from a poem. Also, is it the poet or the speaker who expresses these ideas?

    ReplyDelete