Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Sonnet 116

Shakespeare is a very romantic man. He states that when people are in love and get married, nothing can break them apart and they will stay together forever. I kind of believe this but its not always true. Marriage today is complicated and difficult to manage. In Elizabethan time, was marriage just like how Shakespeare expressed in his poem? Does everyone agree marriage is torture or a blessing?

5 comments:

  1. I think that Shakespeare talks about the ideal love in this poem. In the ideal state of love, love is supposed to be unchangable over time, but, rather, it lasts until the last day of life. However, in reality, it doesn't seem to be true, so I think that in his time,marriage or love did not like how Shakespeare says in the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think marriage is a blessing and for it to last is an even greater blessing. People sometimes get married just because they want to settle and not because they are actually in love. According to shakespeare Love is deep and someone should be deeply in love with someone before they decided to get married.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It could seem like torture once a person gets annoyed with their partner, but marriage is definitely a blessing because you're married to someone you have loved for a long time and you're finally married to you're other half. It's like a dream come true to most people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an interesting discussion but to find out more about marriage in Elizabethan England, we would have to conduct some research. I believe at that time most marriages were motivated by money and class among the wealthy. But I think Shakespeare is noting that love is always tested, and this is equally true today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe that marriage has a lot of value when it comes to love it shows that these two people love each other so much that they are willing to spend a whole life together but i also think that sometimes it complicates things because often people think they are in love but they truly dont know each other fully so they taking a risk.

    ReplyDelete